Sunday, July 09, 2006

 

Religion (Short Version)

In my files is a working document on Religion which is in excess of 5000 words at the moment. It is harsh at times to say the very least about it. Hopefully, this exercise in thought will produce a much smaller, less brutal view of my views on organized religion. Note here I say organized religion. Although it will contain personal views on religion and beliefs in general, it is towards organized religion I turn a jaundiced eye.

I am by nature, an observer. How I view much of life is based on my experiences and education. No matter what I see or how I see it, it is colored, tainted if you will, by my life experiences. One of the things I have done over the years is get a solid education. Granted, it was in essences a Liberal Arts education, which is both good and bad, it allowed me to expand my thought processes.

In writing this, one must keep in mind that as much as I disagree with Organized Religion as a whole, I find it a necessary evil. Hopefully, I’ll explain the evil part much better later on. Also I am certain some will wish to challenge my comments. Save your energy. They will be ignored. Also we will not entertain any attempt to seduce me back to the path of righteousness.

Oh! And one other thing. Even though this subject has always been on my mind to write about, I have managed to ignore such brain naggings until I was recently asked by a reader about writing on Religion. So, therefore, I refuse to take all the heat on myself for such rantings.

One only has took look at the growth in churches since 9/11 to recognize that mankind needs to belong to something which gives them the security that there might be a better life after this one. But herein lies one of my biggest complaints.

Am I the only one to notice how large the physical structures are being built to house a church since 9/11? How much money is being spent to show the world that their religious beliefs are better then another cause look at the size of our temple to the all mighty.

Join our church or you will surely spend eternity in hell. Live your life according to our beliefs or your will regret it in the afterlife. We are the only religion which properly interprets the Word of God.

Sound familiar?

The Word of God, aka The Bible, has many good life lessons in it. And according to the Hebrew scholars whom I have heard, that is exactly what the Old Testament was written for. To place, in writing, for all too see, the lessons needed to live life. Interesting that you can get most, if not all, those same lessons from Aseop’s Fables.

So here comes the hardest part of writing on Religion. First, consider that the Department of Defense recognized 145 separate religious beliefs in their conditions for enlistment. Second, you cannot even classify a single religious sect without mentioning the fact there are sub-sects to each one. Hell, place one cleric from each of the separate Baptist sects in a room with an obscure passage from the Bible to interpret and within 24 hours you just might have a body to remove from the room. This wild theory holds true with most religions.

The reader must remember that the stories of the Bible, (Old Testament), were never written down until approximately 70 A.D., and this was because the Romans were at the gates of Jerusalem, and the temple priests were afraid that their history would be lost for all time if it was not written down. Being this is the situation which brought froth the Bible, one must consider just how accurate it really is, in a historical context. Add in how many times it has been translated from one language to another till it is in its present form also adds to the possibility of error. Yet, it is considered to be irreproachable in context.

Remember, the Old Testament is in reality nothing more then the History of the Jewish race. But even their scholars will admit that they have taken tales for other peoples, molded them to fit their own needs and used them as examples of how to lead a fruitful life. There is solid evidence that Noah’s Flood took place in other people’s history, long before it was finally set to tablet. The names of the heroes were changed to suit the circumstances of the telling. Question becomes, who changed what to suit what circumstances? Believe what you feel you must.

Back to a comment made above, consider how much money is being spent to impress folks with the size of their church, when that money could be better spent by the church on poverty programs to help those who in reality cannot help themselves. Reduce hunger in the world. Provide housing to those who cannot afford it. Shall I go on? Nope, will not.

My Bride has attempted to attend church on a steady basis, but was turned off by a request for her pay stub in order for the church to bill her for tithes and offerings according to her pay. To both of us, this shows a distinct lack of concern for her soul as it does for the church treasury. Hell, my Great-Uncle Marion used to pay his tithes with eggs and maybe a fryer on Sunday. It was what he could afford and the minister accepted it in the manner it was offered. In good faith.

But over the years, it seems churches are nothing more then social clubs to be seen in and associated with. Used to develop contacts in the business world and to improve ones personal wealth. In this I have observed people who were your best friend on Sunday, and would cut your throat on Monday in order to advance in wealth.

Now, for a list of things I do not care for:

Churches not paying taxes. I pay mine. Any business pays theirs. So should any church.

Churches using their clout to force laws which is exclusive to their religion only. Sure there is no official religion/church in this country, but it is near impossible separate church from state when many of the suggestions for laws originate from the pulpit.

I have observed, as a Police Officer, certain religious people who act as if the rules of the road do not apply to them. I have seen them leave a church service and literally run a stop sign with us setting at the intersection in a black and white. Then when stop them, you will end up with several others stopping wondering why Brother Idiot was stopped in the first place. Acting as if that Stop Sign was for the other folks in the community, but not for them, since they were true righteous. Yeah Folks. God is your Co-Pilot and he is wearing not only a parachute, but a crash-helmet and fireproof clothing.

It has also been brought to my attention that church members are showing less compassion towards their fellow man, especially if those needy do not belong to their specific belief. And they get upset at me for no longer being my brothers keeper?

To be considered fallen, because being raised Pentecostal, I married a Baptist and no longer go to their church. Hell folks, I not only do not go to church anymore, I may not even show up in one for my own funeral.

Really touchy subject here. Abortion. Regardless which side of the subject you are on, consider that in reality we have a situation where religious groups want anti-abortion laws. Ever notice the news footage here? After a protest, many of the Anti’s get into their Volvo’s, Saab’s, BMW’s and go home, never once considering the cost of raising the unwanted child and yet, they will bitch and gripe about their taxes going to support a welfare state. If you think this is an outrageous comment, wait and watch the next time one of these protest rallies appears on television. And I have yet to see any Anti’s address the health and welfare of the child after birth except to comment on adoption, which then makes it someone else’s problem.

I have probably said too much already on this subject, yet no where nearly enough to cover everything. If anyone wants more, wait for the movie.

9 Jul 2006
Waiting for the Sun to come up in the West



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?